Thursday, October 6, 2011

Farewell to summer- Garden Salsa






As you could probably tell from my last couple posts, I am in the process of accepting summer is almost over and doing my best to welcome fall. However, I must say that I'll mis lazy summer sunsets and floating, sheer dresses). On the food front, (because I'm assuming people don't just visit this site to read my long, random rants on life) I'm sure I'll be soon yearning for resh summer produce and regretting not taking the time to try out recipes like Caprese salad or blueberry grunt. As my consolation: at least there'll be plenty of classic Chinee dishes and cold-weather treats to warm me up after a day of hitting the ski slopes, and to cheer me up when I get nostalgic for warm sunshine and sandals.




I had the last batch of season tomatoes, fresh picked from my neighbor's garden, and what to do but to make salsa? I know everyone's probably bored of salsa recipes already, but since this'll probably be one of my last summer recipes this season, please bear with me.
I like my salsa fresh and chunky; not that suspicious-looking reddish stuff from a jar, and after a bit of experimentation, I've come up with a recipe that satisfies both my love of freshness and spiciness.
You can add some fresh avocado or tone down the garlic if you think this is too spicy, but I personally enjoy a spicier and tangier salsa so my ratio of tomatoes and onion was tilted more towards the onion and garlic side.

RECIPE: (Serves about 2 cups)
*2 large fresh tomatoes
*1/2 onion
*3-4 cloves garlic
*1 large stick celery
*1/2 cup fresh cilantro
*1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice (about the juice of 1/2 a fresh lime)
*1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil



PREPERATION:

1.) Finely dice tomatoes and grind everything else up. If you have everything peeled and cut, just chuck it in the blender and mix with tomatoes
2.) Add lime juice and mix well

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love seeing each and every one of your pieces of feedback!